A large number of tools are included in GAMS distribution. Below we give a functional categorization of all tools as well as a brief description of each tool with the Supported Platforms.
- GAMS IDE - an integrated model development environment including a general text editor with the ability to launch and monitor the compilation and execution of GAMS models.
- Data Exchange - a collection of tools that provide functionality to exchange data between GAMS and other data sources. This category contains tools for popular data sources and high-level programming environment and like databases, Matlab, and R. There are also tools for specialized systems like HAR, TROLL, and VEDA. The tools to communicate with Microsoft Excel are grouped in a subcategory Excel. Many of the tools described here use the GAMS Data eXchange facility GDX.
- GDX Service - a collection of tools that operate directly on GDX containers to e.g. compare, copy, and merge the content of GDX.
- Data Transformation - a collection of tools that perform very specific tasks that are awkward or inefficient to implement in GAMS directly. Through GDX and the execution of the tools in this category allow to perform complex tasks from a GAMS model like identifying eigenvalues or the inverse of a matrix.
- Other Tools - a collection of more exotic tools that can become handy in some some special circumstances. Most notably, the collection contains the tool MODEL2TEX to document the model algebra in LaTeX format.
The following table gives an alphabetically sorted list of all available tools.
|ASK||The utility can be used to get input from an user interactively.|
|BIB2GMS||Analyses BibTeX files with file extension .bib and writes GAMS source files that can be used to create various author, reference and cross reference reports.|
|CHK4UPD||Checks whether the user can update to a more recent GAMS version.|
|CHOLESKY||Calculates the Choleksy decomposition of a symmetric positive definite matrix.|
|CSDP||The semidefinite programming CSDP solver from COIN-OR. The communication with CSDP requires the setup of matrix data structures in a CSDP input file. In a sense a GAMS model functions as a matrix generator.|
|CSV2GDX||Reads a CSV file (comma separated values) and writes to a GDX file.|
|EIGENVALUE||Calculates eigenvalues of a symmetric matrix.|
|EIGENVECTOR||Calculates eigenvector of a symmetric matrix.|
|ENDECRYPT||A tool to encrypt and decrypt text files.|
|GAMSIDE||GAMS Integrated Development Environment.|
|GAMS POSIX Utilities||A collection of POSIX utilities which are usually available for Windows and the different Unix systems and therefore help to write platform independent scripts.|
|GDX2ACCESS||Converts GDX data to MS Access tables.|
|GDX2HAR||Translates files between GDX and HAR format.|
|GDX2SQLITE||Dumps the complete contents of a GDX file into a SQLite2 database. From Amsterdam Optimization Modeling Group.|
|GDX2VEDA||Translates a GDX file into the VEDA format.|
|GDX2XLS||Converts GDX data into a MS Excel spreadsheet.|
|GDXCOPY||Converts a GDX file into different GDX formats.|
|GDXDIFF||Compares the data of symbols with the same name, type and dimension in two GDX files and writes the differences to a third GDX file.|
|GDXDUMP||Writes scalars, sets and parameters (tables) to standard output formatted as a GAMS program with data statements.|
|GDXMERGE||Combines multiple GDX files into one file. Symbols with the same name, dimension and type are combined into a single symbol of a higher dimension. The added dimension has the file name of the combined file as its unique element.|
|GDXMRW||A suite of utilities to import/export data between GAMS and MATLAB and to call GAMS models from MATLAB and get results back into MATLAB.|
|GDXRANK||Reads one or more one dimensional parameters from a GDX file, sorts each parameter and writes the sorted indices as a one dimensional parameters to the output GDX file.|
|GDXRENAME||Replaces UEL strings in GDX files.|
|GDXRRW||An interface between GAMS and R. It includes functions to transfer data between GDX and R and a function to call GAMS from R.|
|GDXTROLL||Translates a GDX file into the TROLL format.|
|GDXVIEWER||Views and converts data contained in GDX files.|
|GDXXRW||Preferred utility to read and write MS Excel spreadsheet data.|
|GMSUNZIP||A copy of the decompression tool unzip from Info-ZIP prefixed with "gms" for clear identification.|
|GMSZIP||A copy of the compression and archiving tool zip from Info-ZIP prefixed with "gms" for clear identification.|
|HAR2GDX||Translates files between GDX and HAR format.|
|IDECMDS||Sends commands to the GAMSIDE.|
|INVERT||Inverts a matrix.|
|MCFILTER||Removal of duplicate and dominated points in a multi-criteria solution set.|
|MDB2GMS||Converts data from an MS Access database into a GAMS readable format.|
|MODEL2TEX||Translates a GAMS model into LaTeX|
|MPS2GMS||Translates an MPS file into an equivalent short generic GAMS program using a GDX file to store data.|
|MSAPPAVAIL||Checks if a MS Office Application is available.|
|SCENRED||A tool for the reduction of scenarios that model random data processes of a stochastic program. From Humboldt-University Berlin.|
|SCENRED2||Scenred2 is a fundamental update of Scenred and offers a scenario tree construction algorithm. From Humboldt-University Berlin.|
|SHELLEXECUTE||Launches external programs from the command line.|
|SQL2GMS||Converts data from an SQL database into a GAMS readable format.|
|XLS2GMS||Converts spreadsheet data from a MS Excel spreadsheet into a GAMS readable format.|
|XLSDUMP||Writes all worksheets of a MS Excel workbook to a GDX file. Unlike gdxxrw, the program does not require that Excel is installed.|
|XLSTALK||Open/Close/Run macro in MS Excel.|
|Tools/Platform availability - 24.8|
Mac OS X
|IBM Power 64bit
|GAMS POSIX Utilities1)|
|GDXRRW||src only||src only||src only|